What is HTML?
HTML is “hypertext markup language” which is used to create web
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) is a mother of HTML.
HTML is consisting of plain text and tags (markup tags).
Any browser reads markup tags in the HTML pages and interpret them format contained plain text accordingly.
Remember that HTML is not a programming language, it’s just a markup language and if you are aware of markup tags and how to write markup tags then you are free to use them to create beautiful web pages.
What you need to start learning HTML?
- Any word processor like notepad, ms word etc.
- Any browser to view and check created web pages.
- I prefer to use WYSIWYG editor e.g. dreamweaver to create WebPages once you get rid of HTML, but initially use simple word processor like notepad which will help to improve your accuracy. Once you got familiar of markup tags then feel free to use WYSIWYG editors to save your time.
- I also prefer to stay tuned with "progmate.com" for better HTML guidance.
What are HTML markup tags?
HTML tags are specific words which come in angular brackets and normally comes opening and closing format. i.e. called “Start Tag” and “End Tag”. “<” and “>”.
Markup tags are used to format a plain text while rendering HTML pages on a browser.
There are numerous HTML markup tags which help you to create nice webpages.
Remember one thing at start that if you become powerful in markup tags then further learning process would be very easy for you. I promise.
HTML Tag structure:
HTML markup tags come in angular brackets and normally comes opening and closing format. i.e. called “Start Tag” and “End Tag”. “<” and “>”
A typical HTML tag will be like
<tag> some content </tag>
e.g. there is a tag to make text bold which looks like follow,
<b>This is bold text</b>
If you are beginner then you could little confuse so better you try it now.
Follow these steps.
- Open a notepad or wordpad or simillar.
- Type <b>This is bold text</b>
- Save the document as test.html (Select all files while saving, otherwise file would be saved as text file only)
- Open the file in browser program like Internet explorer or firefox or any similar and check your result.
If your browser is now showing a bold text then you are done withbasic tag format or otherwise please read it again
next chapters will lets you travel through markup tags and their “attributes” which is little hard without knowing this.